MG8591 Principles Of Management Syllabus Regulation 2017 Anna University
MG8591 Syllabus Principles of Management
ANNA UNIVERSITY SYLLABUS REGULATION 17
MG8591 PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT L T P C 3 0 0 3
I. UNIT I INTRODUCTION TO MANAGEMENT AND ORGANIZATIONS 9
Definition of Management – Science or Art – Manager Vs Entrepreneur – types of managers -managerial roles and skills – Evolution of Management – Scientific, human relations , system and contingency approaches – Types of Business organization – Sole proprietorship, partnership, company-public and private sector enterprises – Organization culture and Environment – Current trends and issues in Management.
II. UNIT II PLANNING 9
Nature and purpose of planning – planning process – types of planning – objectives – setting objectives – policies – Planning premises – Strategic Management – Planning Tools and Techniques – Decision making steps and process.
UNIT III ORGANISING 9
Nature and purpose – Formal and informal organization – organization chart – organization structure – types – Line and staff authority – departmentalization – delegation of authority – centralization and decentralization – Job Design – Human Resource Management – HR Planning, Recruitment, selection, Training and Development, Performance Management , Career planning and management
IV. UNIT IV DIRECTING 9
Foundations of individual and group behaviour – motivation – motivation theories – motivational techniques – job satisfaction – job enrichment – leadership – types and theories of leadership –communication – process of communication – barrier in communication – effective communication –communication and IT.
V. UNIT V CONTROLLING 9
System and process of controlling – budgetary and non-budgetary control techniques – use of computers and IT in Management control – Productivity problems and management – control and performance – direct and preventive control – reporting.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
MG8591 POM ANNA UNIVERSITY SYLLABUS
• Upon completion of the course, students will be able to have clear understanding of managerial functions like planning, organizing, staffing, leading & controlling and have same basic knowledge on international aspect of management
1. Stephen P. Robbins & Mary Coulter, ―Management, Prentice Hall (India) Pvt. Ltd., 10th Edition, 2009.
2. JAF Stoner, Freeman R.E and Daniel R Gilbert ―Management, Pearson Education, 6th Edition, 2004.
1. Stephen A. Robbins & David A. Decenzo& Mary Coulter, ―Fundamentals of Management‖ Pearson Education, 7th Edition, 2011.
2. Robert Kreitner&MamataMohapatra, ― Management, Biztantra, 2008.
3. Harold Koontz & Heinz Weihrich ―Essentials of management Tata McGraw Hill,1998.
4. Tripathy PC & Reddy PN, ―Principles of Management, Tata McGraw Hill, 1999