ME3351 ENGINEERING MECHANICS Anna University Syllabus R2021
ME3351 ENGINEERING MECHANICS L T P C 3003
- COURSE OBJECTIVES: To Learn the use scalar and vector analytical techniques for analysing forces in statically determinate structures
- To introduce the equilibrium of rigid bodies, vector methods and free body diagram
- To study and understand the distributed forces, surface, loading on beam and intensity.
- To learn the principles of friction, forces and to determine the apply the concepts of frictional forces at the contact surfaces of various engineering systems.
- To develop basic dynamics concepts – force, momentum, work and energy;
UNIT I STATICS OF PARTICLES 9
Fundamental Concepts and Principles, Systems of Units, Method of Problem Solutions, Statics of Particles - Forces in a Plane, Resultant of Forces, Resolution of a Force into Components, Rectangular Components of a Force, Unit Vectors. Equilibrium of a Particle- Newton’s First Law of Motion, Space and Free-Body
Diagrams, Forces in Space, Equilibrium of a Particle in Space.
UNIT II EQUILIBRIUM OF RIGID BODIES 9
Principle of Transmissibility, Equivalent Forces, Vector Product of Two Vectors, Moment of a Force about a Point, Varignon’s Theorem, Rectangular Components of the Moment of a Force, Scalar Product of Two Vectors, Mixed Triple Product of Three Vectors, Moment of a Force about an Axis, Couple - Moment of a
Couple, Equivalent Couples, Addition of Couples, Resolution of a Given Force into a Force -Couple system, Further Reduction of a System of Forces, Equilibrium in Two and Three Dimensions - Reactions at Supports and Connections.
UNIT III DISTRIBUTED FORCES 9
Centroids of lines and areas – symmetrical and unsymmetrical shapes, Determination of Centroids by Integration, Theorems of Pappus-Guldinus, Distributed Loads on Beams, Centre of Gravity of a Three- Dimensional Body, Centroid of a Volume, Composite Bodies, Determination of Centroids of Volumes by
Integration. Moments of Inertia of Areas and Mass - Determination of the Moment of Inertia of an Area by Integration, Polar Moment of Inertia, Radius of Gyration of an Area, Parallel-Axis Theorem, Moments of Inertia of Composite Areas, Moments of Inertia of a Mass - Moments of Inertia of Thin Plates, Determination of the
Moment of Inertia of a Three-Dimensional Body by Integration.
UNIT IV FRICTION 9
The Laws of Dry Friction, Coefficients of Friction, Angles of Friction, Wedge friction, Wheel Friction, Rolling Resistance, Ladder friction.
UNIT V DYNAMICS OF PARTICLES 9
Kinematics - Rectilinear Motion and Curvilinear Motion of Particles. Kinetics- Newton’s Second Law of Motion -Equations of Motions, Dynamic Equilibrium, Energy and Momentum Methods - Work of a Force, Kinetic Energy of a Particle, Principle of Work and Energy, Principle of Impulse and Momentum, Impact of bodies.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
At the end of the course the students would be able to
1. Illustrate the vector and scalar representation of forces and moments
2. Analyse the rigid body in equilibrium
3. Evaluate the properties of distributed forces
4. Determine the friction and the effects by the laws of friction
5. Calculate dynamic forces exerted in rigid body
1. Beer Ferdinand P, Russel Johnston Jr., David F Mazurek, Philip J Cornwell, Sanjeev Sanghi, Vector Mechanics for Engineers: Statics and Dynamics, McGraw Higher Education., 12thEdition, 2019.
2. Vela Murali, “Engineering Mechanics-Statics and Dynamics”, Oxford University Press, 2018.
1. Boresi P and Schmidt J, Engineering Mechanics: Statics and Dynamics, 1/e, Cengage learning, 2008.
2. Hibbeller, R.C., Engineering Mechanics: Statics, and Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics, 13th edition, Prentice Hall, 2013.
3. Irving H. Shames, Krishna Mohana Rao G, Engineering Mechanics – Statics and Dynamics, 4thEdition, Pearson Education Asia Pvt. Ltd., 2005.
4. Meriam J L and Kraige L G, Engineering Mechanics: Statics and Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics, 7th edition, Wiley student edition, 2013.
5. Timoshenko S, Young D H, Rao J V and SukumarPati, Engineering Mechanics, 5thEdition, McGraw Hill Higher Education, 2013